Before I changed my diet and stopped eating pasta, pasta with pesto was my go-to comfort food. While that has gradually been replaced for me with healthier options, the childhood appeal will always remain. This recipe is very adaptable and (although it is pictured here with couscous) it can also be made with quinoa, buckwheat or brown rice pasta - pretty much anything you like!
Serves 2 Preparation time - 2 minutes (or the time it takes you to get the ingredients out of the cupboard!) Cooking time - 5 minutes
1 portion of grains - couscous, quinoa, buckwheat or brown rice
1 large handful of rocket
10 or 12 tomatoes
1 rasher of bacon
3 teaspoons good quality pesto - preferably home-made. Very good recipes can be found below:
Add some sliced mozzarella on the top for some extra flavour.
1) Cook the grains according to the instructions on the packet.
2) Heat up a splash of oil in a small frying pan. When it is sizzling, add the bacon and tomatoes (being careful if the oil is spitting.)
3) Turn the frying pan down to a medium heat, stirring the tomatoes occasionally. After 1 or 2 minutes, turn the bacon over. Leave for another few minutes, stirring the tomatoes occasionally, until the bacon is crispy.
4) Put a few pieces of kitchen roll on a plate. Pat the tomatoes dry with the kitchen roll to remove some oil. Chop or tear the bacon into small pieces.
5) Mix all the ingredients together and serve.